Jackson fire officials determine cause of fire that left 8-year-old child dead

JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) –

Friday night Jackson Firefighters were on the scene of a south Jackson house fire where an 8-year-old boy died. The house is in the 2700 block of Revere Street.

Fire officials say unattended cooking was the cause of the blaze.

The boy was found dead in a bedroom on the second floor of the house. District Fire Chief Cleotha Sanders says a second-story partial roof collapse kept firefighters from getting to the boy initially.

Firefighters arrived on the scene of the working fire at 5:22 p.m. The house appears totally destroyed.

Sanders says they’ve been told that a relative had been at home, but stepped out for a few minutes.

Source: MS News Now